Guidance produced by NHS England recommends that items that can be bought without a prescription for short-term conditions should no longer be prescribed across England.
The NHS in East Berkshire spent over £3.7million last year on products that can be bought without a prescription.
The NHS is under pressure. Our budget is not large enough to pay for all the treatments we would like to purchase. Products available to buy over the counter will no longer be prescribed locally.
Treatments for the following conditions are available to buy over the counter from pharmacies. NHS prescriptions will not be available for these conditions in EAST Berkshire from 1st September 2018:
- Athlete's foot
- Burns & scalds
- Cold sores
- Cradle cap
- Dental caries
- Dry/sore/tired eyes
- Dry skin
- Excessive sweating
- Fever/high temperature
- Hayfever/seasonal rhinitis
- Warts & verrucae
- Insect bites & stings
- Irritant dermatitis
- Mouth ulcers
- Nappy rash
- Nasal congestion
- Acute pain
- Sore throat
- Sun protection
- Oral thrush
- Travel sickness
- Vitamins & minerals
The following products are available to buy over the counter:
- Antacids e.g. Gaviscon®,
- Athlete's foot
powders/creams/sprays e.g. Daktarin®, Mycota®
- Benzoyl peroxide e.g. Acnecide®,
- Chloramphenicol eye drops for
- Cold sore cream e.g. Zovirax®,
- Cough & cold remedies e.g.
Beechams®, Benylin®, Buttercup®, Codeine linctus, Day/Night Nurse®, Covonia®, Pholcodine®, Karvol®,
Lemsip®, Olbas®, Simple linctus
- Decongestants e.g. Sudafed®,
- Diarrhoea relievers e.g.
Imodium®, Loperamide, Dioralyte®
- Ear wax softeners e.g. Cerumol®,
Otex®, Olive oil
- Emollient creams e.g. Aveeno®,
Cetraben® , E45®, Doublebase®
- Haemorrhoid soothers e.g. Anusol®
- Hay fever treatments e.g.
Cetirizine, Loatadine, Beconase®, Sodium Cromoglicate eye drops
- Head lice treatments e.g.
- Infant colic remedies e.g.
- Laxatives for constipation e.g.
Fybogel®, Senna, Lactulose, Dulcolax®
- Migraine relievers e.g. Migraleve®,
Imigran® 50mg, Sumatriptan 50mg
- Mouth ulcer or teething relief
e.g. Bonjela®, Anbesol®
- Multivitamins e.g. Vitamins
capsules, Sanatogen®, Centrum®, iCaps®, Viteyes®
- Nappy rash creams e.g. Sudocrem®,
- Pain and fever relief e.g.
Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Calpol®
- Sore throat soothers e.g.
Strepsil®, Tyroset®, Corsodyl®, Difflam®, Dequadin®, Merocet®
- Toothpastes e.g. Duraphat®
- Travel sickness relief e.g.
- Vitamin D (Colecalciferol)
400-1000 unit preparations
- Wart and verucca removal e.g.
- Pharmacy or shop own brands of
any of the above items
N.B. The above list is not exhaustive. Full
list of conditions for which prescribing has been stopped is available at www.eastberkshire.nhs.uk